- Take notes
- Ask questions
- Be committed to solving the issue
- Do not assign or accept fault/blame, or responsibility until all facts are completely known
- What seems to be the issue?
- Has the person you are talking to seen the opening or passing second hand info?
Measure the Opening
- What measurements have been taken on the Frame
Figure 1: Measure both rabbets
- What measurements have been taken on the Door?
Figure. 2: Measure both sides
- Is the Door/Frame in the correct opening?
Have Mark/Tag #’s been verified?
- Is the correct hardware being used?
Hvy. Wt. vs Std. Wt. hinges, etc.
Measure the Frame
Figure 3: Check corners
Figure 4: Check level of each jamb
Figure 5a: Compare measurements from each rabbet. If they are different the frame is twisted.
Figure 5b: Place 2 framing squares in the rabbets. Check alignment with a straight edge. They should be even.
- If welded, who welded the frame?
- If KD, are the miters lining up?
Figure 6a: Proper alignment
Figure 6b: Compression anchor too tight? Opening width too small?
Figure 6c: Screw installed in gusset prior to tightening of compression anchor? Opening width too large?
- If KD, screws installed in gussets?
Figure 7: Recommended fastener is a #8 pan head SMS
Assess the Door
- Will the door close? If not, why?
- What gaps are between the door and the frame?
Figure. 8: Clearances should be 1/8” at head and jambs with a tolerance of +1/16” or -1/32” for the opening size.
- Is the door hitting the stop evenly top to bottom
Figure. 9: The door should rest against the silencers with no gaps at lock edge. Hinge edge of door should be consistent and not hitting the frame stop.
Door Bind Conditions
- Does the door bind when closing?
- Does the door swing without the closer arm on?
- Are there any dents or damage to the door?
- Gap Too Big at Lock Edge:
Condition 1: Gap too big at lock edge
- Gap Too Small at Lock Edge:
Condition2: Gap Too Small at Lock Edge
- Out Of Square Hinge or Strike Jamb (Toe Out):
Condition 3: Out Of Square Hinge or Strike Jamb (Toe Out)
- Out Of Square Hinge or Strike Jamb (Toe In):
Condition 4 : Out Of Square Hinge or Strike Jamb (Toe Out)
Solutions: Adjust Frame: (varies per condition)
- Grind/Drill Hinge “Pips”:
Fig. A Pips
- Shim Hinges:
Figure B: Shims
- Swag Hinges:
Figure. C: Swagging
Download our Field Troubleshooting Guide as a PDF.