“You want me to do what? Meet you at the job site to measure existing frames for door and hardware replacement?”
Before you go
Measuring existing openings can be a little tricky but can also help bring business your way. Contractors and end users usually feel that their door and hardware professional should be the most knowledgeable person to take on this task (when possible). In our continuing efforts to help our distributor friends, we have a number of useful tools on our website for when you’re called upon to measure existing openings or for door installation.
- Field Measurement forms are a big help
- Video Guide for Measuring and Installation – Video Guide for Door Installation
- Troubleshooting Guide (if things don’t go as planned)
Great tools are the cornerstone of projects done well. You’ll want to be prepared with the following if you’re headed out to measure existing openings:
- A good measuring tape
- 6 foot level
- 2 framing squares
- Our field measurement forms
- Cell phone / digital camera
- Power ratcheting screw gun and various bits
Renovation and replacement projects are a little tougher but can also net a higher margin since there’s more work and risk involved. Done well, they can be a nice addition to your bottom line and customer loyalty.
Good luck out there and please remember that we are always just a call or email away if you need anything!